The Liberty Tour

Last Monday, fall break had officially begun. Scholars everywhere were sleeping in and looking forward to an exciting week of doing nothing. However, at the painfully early time of 6:30 AM on Monday, us groggy students going on the liberty tour were receiving our tickets. Afterwords, we all packed tightly into the airplane and departed for Boston.

In Boston, we took two buses from the airport to the hotel. About an hour after we checked in, we departed for dinner. The restaurant was an Italian eatery named Bertucci’s. The restaurant provided large dishes of food to each table, and whoever wanted to eat something would simply take out of the communal platter. Afterwords, us weary travelers returned to the hotel and slept.

First thing in the morning, we walked the freedom trail. Along the trail were sights such as Paul Revere’s house, the Old North Church, and Beacon Hill. Then, we got to relive the Boston Tea Party and threw small, retrievable boxes from an old-fashioned ship into the harbor. We visited Harvard College, then ate dinner. The restaurant here gave each of us a small menu with a very limited choice of food to order. They also got us our food in a very untimely manner. Knowing we would be leaving, all of us packed our things.

The next morning, we loaded onto the buses and headed out for Plimoth Plantation and the city of Plymouth. At the plantation, they had a reenactment of the old cultures of the pilgrims. To do this, there was a town of shabby wooden houses and real people acting as the settlers who lived in said houses. We asked questions to them so that we could discover insights into Plimoth that we never knew. After this, we left for the town of Plymouth, where we ate lunch and saw Plymouth rock. Once we saw the rock, we packed on the buses and drove for New York. 5 hours later, and we arrived in downtown Manhattan to eat dinner. We went to another Italian place, which was very similar to Bertucci’s. Shortly after, we got onto the buses and drove to New Jersey, where our hotel was.

On Thursday morning, we went straight for central park and met our new tour guide. An hour passes in central park, and we leave, ready to tour the city. We get dropped off on the north side of 5th Avenue(a major shopping street), and are told to walk down it and shop. Later, we would regroup at the Rockefeller center and visit Grand Central Terminal. For dinner, we ate at Carmine’s, a nicer restaurant. Right after, we went to see the Broadway musical “Wicked”.

On the last full day in New York, we left early to see the Statue of Liberty. We took a ferry there and back. Once we returned to Manhattan, we had a small guided tour and were released for lunch. We then visited the 9/11 memorial museum and Wall Street. Later, we ate dinner at Junior’s, the only restaurant that allowed us to have a complete menu. We left when we were done and individually walked around and shopped in Times Square. After an hour and a half elapsed, we ascended to the top of the Empire State Building, then drove to the hotel. At the end of the night, Mr. Taylor held a meeting to let everyone say how they felt about the trip, and express some final thoughts.

For the first time, we were allowed to sleep in. No one seemed to wake up before 8, but by 9, we were all packed and loaded onto the buses. We visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art, or the MET, and left after 2 hours. Heading straight to the airport, everyone reflected on the memories of the trip and longings to either live in or burn down the big apple.

Although it was Mr. Taylor’s last trip, he and Mrs. Denton made it a memorable one. The Liberty tour was truly an experience to be remembered by all the scholars who went on it. It might even have some impact on the scholars who didn’t go on it, since they might wish they had.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s